- Chris Bannor
Happy New Year! I hope that 2021 brings you all that you desire and that you meet whatever goals and resolutions you have made for yourself.
It’s been 3 weeks since my last blog. The holiday season is always hectic, and pandemic or no, this year has been the same. Instead of writing about my inspiration for a story that was published last year, I thought I would take a moment to reflect on my writing in 2020 and what is to come in the year ahead.
Last year I had one goal. I didn’t tell anyone because I was afraid to hold myself accountable for it. This year I’m announcing it because I need to hold myself accountable. I don’t make New Year’s resolutions for my personal life, but for writing I feel the beginning of a new year is the time to try to start something … well … new.
Last year my goal was to have one story published each month. I am happy to say that I far exceeded that goal! In total, I was published in 33 anthologies last year (22 short stories and 61 drabbles). I had 7 of my stories appear on websites and had 1 read on a podcast. I had one story appear in a magazine, and even read a drabble on a live online event launching a new book. There were many firsts for me, and I am so happy to have been able to be a part of all of this.
2021 is already looking pretty good already. I have stories accepted in 19 anthologies as well as being part of several invitation-only projects that I am excited about.
The goals I have for 2021 are about productivity. My first goal is to finish the new urban fantasy novel I started in November. The second is to write every day. This is something I struggle with. I research, I watch videos, and listen to podcasts to help my writing craft. I do all the things writers are known to do instead of writing. I am a great procrastinator and I’ve always managed to get away with it because I write fast. This year, I’m hoping to take advantage of that fast typing to become more productive and get more done. I’m starting small. I have to write 500 words a day OR spend an hour trying. Because as every writer knows, some days the first word is as hard as a thousand. I know there will be days I can’t make this. I know there are times when life comes between me and my keyboard, but if I can write more days than not, I’ll have another amazing year!
And I want to round this up with a huge thank you to everyone who has supported me this year. I’ve made some incredible friends, grown closer to others, and have found such an amazingly supportive writing community. Thank you for reading, commenting, and staying with me on this journey.
In a couple of weeks, I’ll be releasing my first newsletter. Each one will have a new short story that can’t be found elsewhere. I hope you sign up and you enjoy the stories I have to share!
If you want to see which works I published this year, here is the list (because I love lists and bullet points):
○ Clockwork Dragon from Zombie Pirates Publishing
○ The Best of Iron Faerie 2019 from Iron Faerie Publishing
○ Bad Romance from Black Hare Press
○ Dark Valentines by EMerry Publishing
○ Twenty Twenty by Black Hare Press
○ “The Drive” Online by Eerie River Publishing
○ Love Dark Drabbles #7 by Black Hare Press
○ Hate Dark Drabbles #8 by Black Hare Press
○ Forgotten Ones by Eerie River Publishing
○ Ocean Dark Drabbles #9 by Black Hare Press
○ Fatal Faeries by Nocturnal Sirens
○ Dark Solstice by EMerry Publishing
○ “Room for One More” online and read during the Semi-Sages of the Pages podcast
○ Scary Snippets: Family Edition by Nocturnal Sirens
○ Scary Snippets: Sibling Edition by Nocturnal Sirens
○ Once by Iron Faerie Publishing
○ Drabbles of Dread by Macabre Ladies
○ Deep Sea by Black Hare Press
○ Lockdown Horror #2 by Black Hare Press
○ “One” online by Eerie River Publishing
○ Innovation by Queer Sci-fi
○ Lockdown Phantom #2 by Black Hare Press
○ Ancients Dark Drabbles #10 by Black Hare Press
○ “The Hunger” online by Eerie River Press
○ “Brothers” online by Black Hare Press
○ “The Hunt” reprint online by Iron Faerie Publishing
○ Lockdown Sci-fi #2 by Black Hare Press
○ Southeast Asian Fantasy Drabbles by Insignia Stories
○ School’s In by Black Hare Press
○ “The Woodsman” online by Black Hare Press
○ Dark Halloween by EMerry Publishing
○ Lockdown Paranormal Romance #2 by Black Hare Press
○ Forest of Fear Vol. 2 by Blood Song Books
○ Banned Drabbles by Black Hare Press
○ Circle of Magic by WPC Press
○ “Spoils” online by Black Hare Press
○ We’re the Weird Aliens by Mara Lynn Johnstone
○ Banned by Black Hare Press
○ “Piece of My Heart” drabble read online for the Banned Book Launch
○ Holiday Spirits by WPC Press
○ Tick Tock 500 Fiction #1 by Black Hare Press
○ Extreme Drabbles of Dread by Macabre Ladies
Have a Happy New Year! Be safe, be productive and be happy!